Grace and Faith Manor Accepted by the RNAO to become a Best Practice Spotlight Organization
Best Practice Spotlight Organizations (BPSOs) are health-care and academic organizations selected by the Registered Nurses’ Association of Ontario (RNAO) through a request for proposals process to implement and evaluate the RNAO’s best practice guidelines.
It is a dynamic partnership that focuses on making a positive impact on patient care though evidence-based practice.
The Long-Term Care – Best Practice Spotlight Organization (LTC-BPSO®) Designation has been designed to support long-term care homes in achieving clinical excellence through the implementation, evaluation and sustainability of multiple clinical practice guidelines.
In June 2020, Faith Manor was officially declared a Best Practice Spotlight Organization!
Grace Manor continues on its journey to become a Best Practice Spotlight Organization and remains in the pre-designation phase. They are expected to be designated in 2021.
Since 2017, Grace and Faith Manor have implemented the following Best Practice Guidelines.
- Preventing and Addressing Abuse and Neglect of Older Adults
- Assessment and Management of Pain
- Preventing Falls and Reducing Injuries from Falls
RNAO’s Advanced Clinical Practice Fellowship Program
The Advanced Clinical Practice Fellowship (ACPF) program provides registered nurses (RN) and nurse practitioners (NP) the opportunity to have a focused self-directed learning experience to develop clinical, leadership or best practice guideline implementation knowledge and skills, with support from a mentor(s), the organization where the RN/NP is employed, and RNAO. This initiative is aimed at developing and promoting nursing knowledge and expertise, and improving client care and health outcomes in Ontario. Clients are defined as individuals, families, groups or communities.
In 2019, our nursing leadership team was accepted to complete an Advanced Clinical Practice Fellowship. This fellowship focused on the sustainability and spread of Purposeful Hourly Rounding as part of the Prevention of Fall Best Practice Guideline at both Grace and Faith Manor.
Want to Learn More?
Are you a nurse or other allied health care professional interested in becoming a Best Practice Champion? We are looking for eager staff members to become best practice champions at our organization! This is a voluntary position, as part of the team your duties and responsibilities will include the following:
- Complete the free training to become a best practice champion, this will be completed on the individuals own time and can be done through self-directed learning modules online or attendance at a one day full work-shop. Best Practice Champions will receive a certificate of completion from the RNAO and a Best Practice Champion pin on completion.
- Best Practice champions will sign up to be involved in the Best Practice Guideline (BPG) of their choice and will become a member of the BPG team. Our best practice champions are encouraged to attend scheduled meetings for Best Practice guideline Implementation. Meeting dates will be posted in advanced to accommodate schedules as able. If unable to attend, members are encouraged to provide their input to the project lead and read the minutes following.
- Best Practice Champions will share knowledge learned from BPG implementation with colleagues at Grace and Faith Manor and are expected to communicate with staff/residents/families. They may be involved in auditing, gathering feedback or education and training of staff/residents/families. They will also serve as a CHAMPION on the unit as an important resource for their colleagues!
If you are interested, please speak to your manager and check out the RNAO Website for more information about becoming a Champion!
RNAO Kick-Off and Progress
In 2017, Faith and Grace Manor both implemented the “Preventing and Addressing Abuse and Neglect of Older Adults” best practice guideline.
In January 2018 we began the implementation of two more best practice guidelines. See below for our progress:
- Assessment and Management of Pain: We are currently running a pilot project on Grace Manor 3North. Some of the practice changes include new pain screening, new best practice assessments and an improved process for pain management.
- Preventing Falls and Reducing Injuries from Falls: We initially ran a pilot project on FM2 specifically rolling out “Purposeful Hourly Rounding” which aims at anticipating and addressing the residents needs as a falls prevention strategy. This pilot project was so successful in helping us to reduce our falls rates that we have now implemented “Purposeful Hourly Rounding” throughout all units at Faith Manor. In 2020 we published an article in Canadian Nurse discussing our success.
Best Practice Champions
Best Practice Champions are nurses and other health-care professions who are educated and trained to better understand evidence-based practice, best practice guidelines and the process of introducing evidence-based practice into clinical settings. BPG champions are effective in carrying out roles in mentoring, educating, and initiating policy and practice changes:
2017 Best Practice Champions:
- Kaitlan Laviolette (Nurse Practitioner/BPSO Liaison)
- Tracy Kamino (Administrator – Faith Manor)
- Peter Dykstra (Administrator – Grace Manor)
- Debbie Donker (Houskeeping/Laundry Manager)
- Agnes Fernhout (RAI – Faith Manor)
- Puneet Gill (RAI – Grace Manor)
- Prudence Blake (Restorative RPN – Faith Manor)
- Sharan Gill (Restorative RPN – Grace Manor)
- Dwight Edwards (BSO RPN – Faith Manor)
- Tanicia Dyer (BSP RPN – Grace Manor)
- Ashley Elzinga (Activation Staff)
2018 Best Practice Champions:
- Sellinor Ogwu (Nursing Supervisor/RN – Faith Manor)
- Justine Dudziak (Activation Manager)
- Sejal Maheta (Physiotherapist)
- Sophia Laidley (RPN – Faith Manor)
- Marichris Gavina (RN – Grace Manor)
- Winnie Valdez (PSW – Faith Manor)
- Sandra Chung (PSW – Grace Manor)
- Jasmine Massey (PSW – Faith Manor)
- Sally Tubman (PSW – Faith Manor)
- Monica Phipps-Whyte (PSW – Faith Manor)
- Ann Marie Findlley-Davis (PSW – Grace Manor)
- Rosa Maneula (PSW – Grace Manor)
- Julie Determan (RN – Faith Manor)
- Deepa Sule (RPN – Faith Manor)
- Gertrude Laryea (RPN – Faith Manor)
- Angeline Richardson (RPN – Grace Manor)
- Heather Brooks (RPN – Grace Manor)
- Daljit Rai (RN – Grace Manor)
- Marlene Ragbir (Activation – Faith Manor)
- Preethi Mulaka (RN/ADRC – Grace Manor)
- Mira Memelli (RN/DRC – Faith Manor)