Purpose of the Towers: “To provide a supportive, caring, secure Christian community that encourages independence, preserves dignity and promotes a high quality of life for seniors who can live independently with limited support services.”
Welcome to the Towers
Welcome! Our Independent Living units offer tenant privacy and security in a caring Christian community. Enjoy the convenience of on-site services, including a dining room service, an on-site Shoppers Drug Mart, a Duca Financial Services branch, a hair salon, a variety store, exercise rooms, a number of libraries and much more!
What do we mean by “Independent Living?” Independent Living simply means that you are capable of living on your own, with the advantages of self-contained accommodation and community, with some provision for optional Support Resources.
Our Towers tenants have access to a wide range of medical support services including physiotherapy, geriatrician, dental care, podiatrist etc. They can also attend on-site church services or join and worship at nearby local churches. Our tenants are also supported by a number of on-site pastoral chaplains and on-staff social workers. Transit, area shopping and City of Brampton social amenities are close at hand.
Creating a Community of Care
What makes it possible for us to care for each other? When tenants and staff work together, when lines of communication are open, when everyone understands what’s expected, it’s easy to call Holland Christian Homes, home! And yes, our staff team believes that attention to detail helps to make Holland Christian Homes a caring community. We care about every detail.
Questions? The Front Reception Team are here for you! Every day they assist and direct all questions from our community, HCH tenants and their families. They also book rooms for family get-togethers and special events. The Front Reception desk (in Ebenezer Centre) is open from 8:30am to 9:00pm daily.
Dining Room & Optional Meal Plan
Some people love cooking, while others don’t! We have a Tenant Dining Room that serves a delicious hot meal daily at 12:30pm, for those who choose to be part of the meal plan. This service is available to all tenants in the six towers, as space allows. The meal plan follows a 3-week rotating menu and is served family style. The dining room is located on the main floor of Covenant Tower.
To sign up for the meal plan, please contact Jenny in our Administration Office. Our Dietary Manager will gladly discuss any special requirements you may have.
HCH is equipped with a Medical Centre with waiting rooms, treatment rooms, reception desk, and office facilities for nursing staff. Our Resident Medical Staff Team strives for excellence in the care of each tenant. We are pleased to provide the following services onsite:
- Nursing and Doctor Services
- Social Worker
- Denturist and Denture Clinic
- Hearing Aide Specialist
- Laboratory (Lab) Services
- Mobility Clinic
- Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy – MDR Clinics
Emergency Call Bells and Response
All apartments have emergency call bells in several locations. When you activate the bell you will hear no sound, but the nursing staff will be alerted by pager. They will respond as quickly as possible and give emergency assistance as needed. Our Team is available seven days a week on a 24-hour basis for emergency responses.
We have our own Pharmacy on site in the basement of Covenant Tower, conveniently across from the Medical Centre. Shoppers Drug Mart will deliver prescriptions to your apartment! Shoppers Home Health supplies equipment such as walkers and wheelchairs.
Rooms for Special Events
Often family members use our HCH facilities for birthday parties, anniversaries and seasonal events! The following rooms are available to rent for your family get-togethers: Harmony Hall, Covenant Tower Lounge, Board Room, Providence Tower Meeting Room and Horizon Hall. To book a room, hall, or space of any kind for a special-event, simply contact our Administration Office.
Basic care services are available to all independent living tenants. In addition, a Medication Assistance Program is available for an additional cost. See below for details on the care services available.
All of our tenants of the Towers have access to services through our Basic Care Program, which is paid monthly. The “Basic Care Program” provides services as listed below. Our Registered Practical Nurses and Personal Support Service Workers are also available for emergencies on a 24 hour basis, 7 days a week!
Summarized services, available to all tenants include:
- 24 hour access to nursing staff in a medical emergency
- Emergency response to Lifeline calls
- Follow-up visit after an emergency or sickness, if requested
- With the tenant’s consent, staff will notify next-of-kin in case of emergency, a fall or illness and when tenants are sent to hospital
- Provide first-aid for minor injuries (i.e. cuts, scrapes, etc.)
- Post-hospital safety checks and/or nursing visits
- Physicians from the Queen Square Doctors Family Health Team have office hours at HCH for tenants that are enrolled with them.
- Access to our HCH nursing clinics four times per day for consultation with nursing staff, administration of eye drops, assistance with support stockings, simple dressings and blood pressure checks.
- Care coordination and help with system navigation–assess increased care needs; assist tenants and family to plan for increased in-home help
- Assistance with referral to the CW-LHIN regarding assessment for the Assisted Living Program and Long-Term Care
- Social Work services
- We provide a list of volunteer drivers to help tenants arrange rides for doctor’s appointments
- Coordination of the following services: Hearing Instruments, Denturist, Chiropractor, Massage Therapy, Mobility Equipment, Foot Care
- Coordination of in-house laboratory services through Dynacare Laboratories
In addition to Basic Care, the following services are available to all tenants on a fee-for-service basis.
- Medication Assistance Program; we work collaboratively with Shoppers Drug Mart, our pharmacy on site, to provide assistance with medications. The assistance includes monitoring and/or assisting with medications in the blister packs.
- Assist with organizing meals in the Tenant Dining Rooms or Meals on Wheels.
If a tenant requires additional in-home care, staff can provide a list of providers in our community for personal care support.
Tenant Advisory Committee
Our Tenant Advisory Committee meets monthly to discuss the needs and concerns of tenants. Each Tower is represented by three representatives who are tenant-elected annually in the month of January. Should tenants have concerns or issues that they would like to have discussed at the monthly meetings, they are encouraged to contact their building’s representatives as listed in each Tower’s lobby.
Our many special events are posted on bulletin boards in each Tower, on the monthly calendar, on posters, and aired on our in-house television Tower TV (channel 990), so you’ll never miss out!